The football world was left in shock after Cristiano Ronaldo was accused by Kathryn Mayorga of raping her in 2009. The 33-year-old who joined Juventus from Real Madrid this summer has seen his career coming to turmoil after the latest allegation. Not only the Portugal star’s career is at stake but even his former club Real Madrid are dragged into the saga now. Now, the club has decided to take legal action against the Portugal newspaper Correio da Manha after they published a story alleging the Spanish club asking Cristiano Ronaldo to pay off Kathryn Mayorga after their sexual encounter in Las Vegas in 2009.
According to reports in AFP, Real Madrid in their statement has said: “Real Madrid C. F. can today announce that the club has taken legal action against the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha for publishing categorically false information in an effort to seriously damage the image of this club.”
“Real Madrid has absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club was unable to take action on a matter of which it had no knowledge. Real Madrid has demanded total rectification of the situation from the aforementioned newspaper.”
On Wednesday, Ronaldo’s Las Vegas-based attorney said his client “vehemently denies all of the allegations” made in a lawsuit filed by Mayorga’s lawyers last month, and he described the encounter in June 2009 as “consensual in nature.”
“Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo’s position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual,” lawyer Peter Christiansen said in a statement.
Ronaldo joined Madrid from Manchester United in 2009, for a world record fees of £80 million. Ronaldo played 10 seasons for Madrid and shattered records. He recently left Real Madrid to join Serie A club Juventus.