The 2018 Asian Games, officially known as the 18th Asian Games and also known as Jakarta Palembang 2018, is a pan-Asian multi-sport event scheduled to be held from 18 August to 2 September 2018 in the Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang.
We are less than 24 hours away from home – so let’s have a look at some the interesting facts about 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia.
1. Indonesia hosted Asian Games in 1962 as well. This will be the second time they will be hosting the Asiad.
2. Jakarta and Palembang were not the first choices to host the Asian Games this time around. The original host was meant to be Hanoi, Vietnam. However, in 2014 Vietnam withdrew its application.
3. Some sports such as pencak silat, wushu, jujutsu, paragliding and jet-ski will be played for the first time at the Asian Games.
4. The 2018 Asian Games mascots are Bhin Bhin (a cenderawasih), Atung (a Bawean deer) and Kaka (a Javan rhino) represent strategy, speed and strength as well as symbolize Eastern, Central and Western regions of Indonesia.
5. Jakarta, Palembang and other host cities will organize 462 sports events, which is the second largest number of events in the history of Asian Games.