The NBA on Christmas Day is a tradition like no other and one of the most important days on the NBA calendar.
When the league switched to a five-game Christmas slate in 2008, it began commemorating the holidays on team uniforms by using a snowflake-shaped NBA logo.
On Christmas Day 2012, the league unveiled Christmas Day uniforms for all 10 teams in action, a tradition that lasted for five seasons until Nike took over as official supplier to the NBA before the 2017-18 season.
While the uniform days of Christmas Day are no more, each of the teams scheduled to play on Christmas Day in 2021 has made specific costume decisions for the holidays, with eight of the 10 teams in action opting to go with its “City Edition”. uniforms.
Thanks to NBA.com’s LockerVision, we have an advanced look at the head-to-head uniform matchups for all five games on Christmas Day.
NBA League Pass: Sign Up to Unlock Live Off-Market Games (7-Day Free Trial)
Hawks (City) vs. Knicks (City)
- The Hawks ‘404 Forever’ city uniform pays homage to the city of Atlanta while incorporating elements of uniforms from various eras in Hawks history.
- The New York’s City Edition uniform is a twist on the team’s look from the late 90s, opting for a black base and orange accents. The Madison Square Garden logo is present on the shorts.
Celtics (City) vs. Bucks (City)
- As one of the league’s franchises, the Boston City Edition uniform has a look inspired by the early years of the NBA. The shorts pay tribute to Red Auerbach and feature the team’s 75th anniversary logo.
- Various eras of Bucks basketball are represented on the team’s City Edition uniforms, including the Irish rainbow on the side panels, reminiscent of the 1980s. The antler logo on the shorts brings things back to life. It was Ray Allen’s and the number font brings things back to modern times.
Warriors (Association) vs. Soles (City)
- Because the Golden State City Edition uniform is black, you will be opting for your Association white uniform, a style first introduced in the 2010-11 season.
- The Suns are one of two teams that did not incorporate retro elements into their City Edition uniforms, but instead brought back their City Edition uniforms from the 2020-21 season. A nod to “El Valle del Sol,” the Suns wore these vibrant black uniforms to each of their home playoff games in 2021.
Nets (City) vs. Lakers (Association)
- The Nets’ City Edition uniforms pay tribute to every stop the franchise has made on its way to Brooklyn. From the wordmark of the early ’90s to the Jason Kidd era diamond print, each element works well together.
- Tradition reigns supreme for the Lakers, who will wear their white Association uniforms. Since the 2001-02 season, white uniforms have been the Lakers’ choice on Sundays and holidays, and special-edition Christmas uniforms also come in white.
Mavericks (city) vs. Jazz (city)
- The Mavericks City Edition uniforms take things back to the early days of the team’s identity, using heavy themes of green and incorporating the hat logo into the Dallas wordmark.
- Like the Suns, the Jazz are bringing back their City Edition uniform from the 2020-21 season, which is a “Dark Mode” version of the Redrock-inspired uniforms that first debuted during the 2017-18 season.