Rock climbing is a popular adventure sport across the globe and even in India. The sport is physically demanding and requires a combination of fitness and agility, along with mental strength, a person who wishes to do it requires to undergo intense training.
Speaking to Sportswallah, fitness trainer Vijay Menon from ProSport Fitness shares his expert advice on how a person needs to prepare himself for rock climbing.
How to start training
- One needs to discuss the goals with their personal trainer before starting to train to achieve the goal.
- A good strength training combined with the loading of the lower extremities (a part of the body from the hip to the toes), increasing the grip strength and pulling strength (Plank holds, Pushups, Pullups, Squats Lunges) is really important in such type of sport.
Required body weight and important tips before you start climbing
- Although rock climbing doesn’t have a body weight limit, unless specified in a particular competition, it is best advised to train for the sport and be comfortable in your body weight, since you will be climbing against the gravity.
- The gravity will also act along with your body weight making it more difficult to climb so a formidable amount of strength, balance, and hand-eye coordination is required while climbing.
- A slightly increased intake of protein would be advised for muscle building and recovery, combined with a good amount of water intake and also an adequate amount of carbs.
- Pre-competition, one should have a good amount of carbohydrates combined with little fat for sustained energy, also keeping a check on the fluid intake is essential.
- Post-event one should have an energy drink which will help replenish the glucose and the salts lost during competition.
- A good amount of protein for muscle building and recovery should be consumed, the exact quantity will be determined based on the athlete’s personal data as well as the competitiveness of the event.
How will rock climbing help your body
Participating in rock climbing regularly or training for the sport will not only make a person look good but also improve his/her’s strength, balance, coordination, cardiovascular fitness that will help them enjoy the adrenaline rush of such adventure sport.