One of the biggest sports carnivals of the country – IPL 2019 – has kickstarted with a bang. Cricket fanatics all over the country are pumped up to hoot for their favorite teams and cricketers, wear the hats of sports critics and analysts, and minutely watch every action unfold of the pitch.
Three matches have been played in the past three days and today the match between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab is to be played in Jaipur at Sawai Mansingh Stadium, at 20:00 hours IST.
While the locals of the Pink City might already be aware of the history of this iconic stadium, we are sharing some awesome facts about the grand SMS stadium that will make every cricket fan wonder – “how I didn’t know about that?”
1. The stadium was built during the reign of Maharaja of Jaipur Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II, who was also known as SMS, hence the name of the Stadium. He ruled in Jaipur from 1922 to 1948.
2. The stadium seats 30,000.
3. The ground has hosted two World Cup matches in 1987 and 1996 respectively, in which the West Indians lost to England in the former and beat Australia in the latter.
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni had the highest individual score by any batsman on this ground in ODIs is 183 (not out).
5. It was here that Virat Kohli hit the fastest 100 in ODIs as India chased a total of 359 against Australia.
6. Sawai Mansingh Stadium has hosted IPL matches for its local team, Rajasthan Royals, who won the first season as an underdog team.
Well… who knows it might just get lucky for the homies this time as well!