Cricket is so much more than just a game in India. It is followed like a tradition and loved like a culture. More than the game, the cricketers are worshipped and loved like one of their own and fans go beyond limits to catch each and every update about their favourite players. Now, it has to be special when the news is about India’s captain Virat Kohli!
It was a proud moment for the country when, ahead of ICC World Cup 2019, Madame Tussauds museum in London unveiled the wax statue of the captain of Indian cricket team Virat Kohli at Lord’s cricket ground on Wednesday, May 29.
The wax statue of one of the world’s leading batsmen will be on display at Madame Tussauds from Thursday (30th May) until July 15 – remaining at the museum for the duration of the tournament.
Pictured for the first time at the iconic Lord’s, the statue is dressed in the official Indian kit as well as shoes and gloves donated by the sportsman himself.
Steve Davies, General Manager at Madame Tussauds London, said: “Cricket fever is set to sweep the nation in the coming weeks so what better way to unveil our new figure of Virat Kohli than with the help of our neighbours at Lord’s. We hope that cricket fans will enjoy not only watching their hero on the pitch but taking to the crease with him here at Madame Tussauds London.”
Tarah Cunynghame, Head of Retail and Tours at Lord’s Cricket Ground said, “Lord’s is the perfect backdrop to reveal this fantastic figure of Virat Kohli on the eve of Cricket World Cup. The anticipation of the exciting summer of cricket has already started, with thousands of visitors coming to the Ground and enjoying a tour of Lord’s and around the MCC museum.”
“The figure of the famous batsman will delight any cricket fans visiting Madame Tussauds London,” he further added.
From Thursday onwards Kohli will sit alongside the legends such as Usain Bolt, Sir Mo Farah and fellow Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar in Madame Tussauds museum.
The exciting World Cup 2019 matches kickstart today at 3 pm IST when England take on South Africa in the tournament opener at the Oval, London.
- ICC World Cup 2019: 81 players set to make their WC debut, here are the top five!
- ICC World Cup 2019: The evolution of Indian cricket team’s jersey
- ICC World Cup 2019: Technologies that will be used in extravaganza
- Four cricket teams reveal ‘home’ and ‘away’ kits for ICC World Cup 2019
- MS Dhoni adjusts field for Bangladesh while batting, Twitter has a laugh!
- ICC World Cup 2019 Travel Diaries: Must-eat local food in London!
- “Divine” rap by Virat Kohli ahead of ICC World Cup 2019
- ICC World Cup 2019: Opening Ceremony highlights