England and India play the first match of their upcoming series in Nottingham on Tuesday. On paper, it is a mouth-watering clash featuring the top two sides in the 50-over format as England is ranked no.1 with 126 rating points and India is ranked no.2 with 122 rating points.
Here are some interesting facts about the upcoming ODI series between India and England:
1. India has won 52 ODIs out of the 96 played against England from 1974 to 2017.
2. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, for whom this might be the last bilateral series in England, has 882 runs under his belt in England from 25 ODI matches.
3. Till date, India has managed three bilateral ODI series win against England in England – in 1986, 1990 and 2014.
4. Kapil Dev, the fast bowling all-rounder was the captain of the Indian ODI team when England was hosting India for Texaco Trophy in 1986. Under his leadership, India won their first ever bilateral ODI series in England.
5. In 1990, under the tutelage of Azharuddin, India won its second bilateral ODI series in England. India won the two-match series 2-0 which was also Azhar’s debut ODI series win.
6. The ODI series win in the 2014 tour of Team India made Mahindra Singh Dhoni India’s most successful ODI captain.